This safe and effective spray the can be made at home. It makes the vegetables or leaves tasty nasty to the bugs so they stop munching. You must wash your veggies before eating them if you use this stuff! It will taste nasty to you, too!
I have made a large batch of the concentrate. Meet me in the garden to get some. Please bring an 8 oz glass bottle to take the concentrate home in. It must be glass.
GARLIC-PEPPER (ONION) SPRAY
Use rubber gloves; safety glasses recommended!
1. In a blender or food processor, place
- 1 bulb of garlic (no need to peel)
- 2 or more (depending on how angry you are) really hot peppers like Habanero, Serrano, etc.
- Optional: 1 small yellow onion
- 1 pint (2 cups)of water
2. Whiz to make a slurry.
3. Pour into a glass container with a tight-fitting lid for at least 24 hours, a couple of days is better.
4. Filter the slurry well – a coffee filter works fine. Can be stored for a long time in your fridge – just make sure it is a glass container with a good lid.
5. Add a tablespoon (15mL) of this concentrate and a short squirt (5 mL) of soap (like Bonner’s or Murphy’s oil soap) to each quart of water in your sprayer.
This stuff really will stink up your kitchen, so be prepared.
WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION. It isn’t dangerous but it will stink and smart!