Member Menu

Archive | Community

Event Postponed

As a precautionary measure, Westbury Community Garden is postponing our March 28 10th Anniversary Celebration. Many city and state officials desire proactive steps to guard the health of our communities. WCG will contact you again, when a new date is scheduled in the fall. We look forward to your participation on our new date. ===================================================================== […]

Continue Reading

2019 Tomato Tasting Winners

The Westbury Community Garden 6th Annual Tomato Tasting on June 1, 2019, was record-setting in many ways. Most attendance Most volunteers Most fish bowl prize donations Most funds raised And most importantly Most tomatoes (34 different varieties!) The crowd favorites in three tomato categories were Cherry tomatoes 1st place – tie – Apero and Matt’s […]

Continue Reading

WCG Receives Prestigious Keep Houston Beautiful / Mayor’s Proud Partner Certificate

On November 13, some of Westbury Community Garden members attended the Keep Houston Beautiful award program at The Hilton Americas. The garden received a Certificate of Recognition for the VegOut! Westbury program held each March for National Nutrition Month at the garden pavilion. VegOut! Westbury is a nutrition education event and celebration of growing, cooking […]

Continue Reading

Garden Goodies

My tomato garden has been very productive this year. The picture shows tomatoes canned today (24 pints) plus those waiting to be canned.I had previously canned 56 pints in the last couple of weeks. That makes 80 pints so far of tomatoes and tomato sauce. I will get at least 15 more pints from those […]

Continue Reading

Veg Out, Westbury! 2018

For four Saturday afternoons in March (National Nutrition Month), Westbury Community Garden hosted a nutrition education expo and celebration of growing, cooking and eating more vegetables in the June Holly Outdoor Learning Pavilion at the garden. Members, neighbors and friends of WCG were encouraged to get the Recipe 4 Success Foundation’s phone app to keep track of […]

Continue Reading

VegOut! Comments and Pictures

Here are some comments and pictures from the VegOut! experience. From Becky Edmondson, Westbury Civic Club President. A BIG thank you to everyone who worked toward making this VegOut! event possible.   The weather didn’t cooperate but I will tell you the 3 eight year old second grade boys I brought learned a lot!  I had […]

Continue Reading

VegOut! Westbury

Take the 30 Ways in 30 Days Challenge! March is National Nutrition Month. Please join Westbury Community Garden in taking the VegOut! 30 Days in 30 Ways Challenge. We all need more veggies in our lives! Sign up online at vegoutwithrfs.org or get the free phone app from Recipe For Success. There is also a […]

Continue Reading

For the Love of Loofahs!

I have purchased an occasional loofah at the health food store and I always thought it was a sort of coral or sea anemone. But thanks to Nancy Ehrlich’s latest garden adventure, I now know the loofah is a member of the cucumber family. And it is currently growing on a vigorous tropical vine with […]

Continue Reading